A Short History of The Egerton Arms…
In the 18th Century, this Public House began its life as a one up, one down sandstone cottage, belonging to the Rt. Hon. Lord Shrewsbury Talbot. In 1797 it was first opened as an alehouse, with a Mr James Barlow as its first licensee, and remained a tenant leased the property until 1917.
In December 1917, it was sold to Sir Philip Grey-Egerton of Oulton Hall, Little Budworth as a free and fully licensed Inn. Since accommodation was offered by the landlord in 1827, it was recorded as “The Board”, but subsequently became known as ‘The Egerton Arms”, a name which has been used ever since.
As the tenant in 1957, Mr James Gordon then purchased The Egerton Arms from Sir Philip John Caledon Grey-Egerton in 1965. Since then it remained a family business, ownership being transferred by Mr Gordon to his daughter Joan Anne and son-in-law Kenneth Dobson in 1970.
This couple continued to lead the business until the death of Mr Dobson in 1997, when Mrs Dobson took over as licensee and subsequently continued as landlord of The Egerton Arms until 2008 when it’s doors closed to the public.
However, Mrs Dobson remained resident in the premises until May 2013 when she then leased the property to Mike and Helen Walter along with their daughters Francesca, Emily and Alice, who reopened the business in August 2013.
Then came the pandemic.
During this time John & Liz purchased the premises, giving it a facelift and re-opened in December 2021.
The pub has been growing from strength to strength, introducing new beers, wines and cocktails as well as stirring things up with their delicious food. They have also introduced live music to the pub along with themed evenings and quiz nights, bringing a real party atmosphere to what is a small Cheshire village.
Not far from Oulton Park and Little Budworth County Park, it is the ideal spot to drop in for some refreshment no matter if on foot, two or four wheels, you will always find a friendly welcome.